Exercise Suggestions for Arthritis in hands?
Could you share any insight or support that has given relieve and/or improvement for individuals with arthritis in hands?
Answer from Justine
- Any ‘-itis’ in the body is heat…so, first and foremost, cooling that inflammation is key. Sitali inhale is wonderful for that (inhaling through a rolled tongue or like you are sipping through a straw) – it is systemically cooling for the body.
- Garshana and Abhyanga – the body brushing and oiling – when you oil the hands try to rub the fingers like you are ‘milking’ them, if that makes sense. (See handout button below)
- MELT classes or some kind of other myofascial release practice – even gently rolling your hands and forearms on a tennis ball to release the fascia, which can elongate the joints when that compression is released.
- Gentle movement linked to breath is SO powerful! Be mindful of the alignment of your hands as you do so, and if full extension or full flexion of the joints is painful, just do what feels okay, the range of motion will increase over time. See the below video.
- As much as the body can deposit calcium/bone in the bones and joints, it can also take it away – I am a strong believer that that body can work in the direction of positive change….we just need to encourage and help it!
- Be mindful of weight bearing on the hands……spread fingers wide, press through base knuckles of the hands as well as the finger tips to spread the weight evenly throughout the hand.
Gentle Yoga Movements for Osteoarthritis of the Fingers and Hands with Justine
Did you know Osteoarthritis often sets into the hands first? Why? Because those are the joints we use most often! Here are a few Exercises for arthritis in the hands and fingers. These Finger and Hand movements (aka “Yoga snacks”!) will bring in circulation and provide pain relief to your stiff joints. Great for Trigger Finger too!
Why and How an Oiling Self massage Eases Arthritis in your Fingers with Sherry
I love it when we can apply common sense to ease our arthritic finger joints rather than taking medication. I suggested an oiling self massage approach (aka Abhyanga Garshana) to one of my students and she reports back in on how and why it worked so well. She can cook and bake again! Spread the good news to everyone with arthritis! Great for Trigger Finger too!
Finger Arthritis Play for Memory and Dexterity with Sherry
Making shapes with your fingers not only helps with your mobility, but it also fine tunes the mind/body connection as I call out different patterns to create on the fly. Here is just another way to have fun while we are doing good things for our bodies! Great for finger and hand arthritis too!
Related Online Workshop
Online Workshop: Gentle and Chair Yoga for Arthritis from Head to Toe
If you teach to the 50+ population, then you will likely encounter Arthritis. Whether Arthritis is in the shoulders, hands, knees, or feet, it can be very debilitating and painful for our students. This Workshop will focus primarily on Osteoarthritis with a brief discussion of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Starting from head to toe, Sherry steps through the common issues, symptoms and Yoga pose modifications for students with arthritis.